Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-04-2006, 07:03 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: !!!!!!! PORTUGAL !!!!!!!

He would have been great. A fresh start if you like! Hiddink said he would have taken the job, and that would have been perfect. He's gone to coach Russia, and Russia are in England's qualification group for 2008!
Old 07-04-2006, 01:21 PM

Will,

As I already said earlier, the English attack was more dangerous than the Portuguese. England managed to get into the area with great danger, while the Portuguese could not enter the English area. Besides the whole England team was in defence, maybe the Portuguese attackers were lacking some inspiration too. Something wasnt working there as usual.

But the lack of Deco (who can make any defence into an 8) was crucial to that, as well Costinha in the mid-field who could have stopped the English attack in a more effective way. But thats only guessing by now and at the end its the result that counts.

another wait of 4 years

This is exactly the same speech the Portuguese had for as long as I remember. The problem is that the newspapers create exaggerated hopes (and the British ones EXAGERATE A LOT), and when the true value of a team is revealed theres big disappointment.

The media should be more humble, and even if motivating the fans and encouraging the teams, they should be realistic and have more fair-play. Most of the times they portray the opponents in such a way that I can classify as racist, treating them as inferior beings. The problem arouses when those inferiors beat the masters.

Rafal and Will,

The Scolari issue reminds me what happened with Simo Sabrosa to Liverpool Liverpool thought Simo was too expensive, didnt hire him, and a week later or so he eliminated Liverpool of the Champions League costing that team more than if he had hired him

Regarding Scolari going to Russia, lets hope he stays in Portugal and as far as I know nothing is settled yet. He seems to be enjoying here. Also at the beginning the Portuguese newspapers created a lot of problems to him because he says what he thinks and not what people want to hear. But he was stronger than them and the papers had to shut up

The best example for this is Mourinho, the Portuguese coach of Chelsea He put the British tabloids in their place since the beginning eheheh.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:35 PM
TE Junior Member

Eh, sorry i think i typed it in wrong. I think Hiddink is going to Russia. Scolari will probably stay where he is.

I had high hopes for England, a win was possible, but my hopes were let down after Eriksson decided to take 2 injured strikers and an untested striker...whhat the f*@k. I thought that we had a decent chance, regardless of what the media said, but for some reason Beckham stayed on and Lampard couldn't replicate his great performance at Chelsea with England.

Oh well, no more moaning for me, i'm over it, but it would be nice if the papers could talk about something else.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:34 PM
TE Junior Member

didnt the world cup end last saturday?? ;)
Old 07-04-2006, 06:39 PM
TE Expert

I will eat some codfish with white verde wine in your honor ! amitis toi Jos

Pierrot
Old 07-04-2006, 07:16 PM

Default Rooster fight!!!

Stephen,

:o))))

Pierrot,

Lets hope that the only Portuguese thing to be eaten by the French tomorrow is Portuguese Codfish with Verde wine :o)

Anyway, it will be like a Rooster fight! (Both nations have the Rooster as one of the national symbols, right?)

:o)
Old 07-05-2006, 05:41 AM
TE Junior Member

Default A win

Nice job Italy. Great match as well. Tonights match will be fun as well!
Old 07-05-2006, 05:53 AM
TE Expert

Greetings on the excellent Italian win today !!!!!
before the start of the world cup, I was told to sit on the other table in a bar by my friends as I had told them that I was putting my money on Argentina and Italy ... lols
I wonder who will have the last now !
Forza Azzuri is definitely something to be reckoned with !!!
Good day to everyone ... lets see what happens tomorrow between Portugal and France!!!
Sarju
Old 07-05-2006, 07:20 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: A win

Yeah, the game was a bit boring, teams didn't risk too much, and Italy could do their game only in the last 5 minutes (fast counter-attacks).

France may be dangerous too with the fast plays, hope Portugal is more prepared!
Old 07-05-2006, 11:48 AM
TE Expert

What a match - thrilling end to end stuff - football is the winner!