Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2019-11-02 17:43

Hello Gert,

To many this might well be "nothing special" but personally I think it's a gem - as, indeed, are also your two workshop photographs, especially your "selfie" taken in a rather less than salubrious hotel room with a big mirror.

Your main picture is a lovely capture of daily life with three youngsters with linked arms joyfully walking towards you in a rather run-down street - but it is a perfect depiction of joy in rather sad surroundings.

The centre of the city looks more prosperous with many big Mercedes taxis which echo images of New York (though I've never quite understood why we in Britain seem to revere Mercedes cars so much while in other countries they are just workhorses and "nothing special").

But I do very much like your most personal shot in the mirrored room - but, of course, things generally tend to look better in pictures than they do in real life - and to me that room doesn't look all that bad - but I can't tell from a photograph just how clean it might have been nor if there were some rather unpleasant and rancid odours. But I very much appreciated seeing a fine "selfie" of this young traveller.

As usual, three splendid high quality scans of excellent Kodachrome slides and a fine and comprehensive note to accompany them.

Fabulous!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:46 PM
TE Expert

Default To tyro: rancid odours

Thank you John,

You made a clever assumption regarding the cleanliness of this hotel room. I didn't remember this myself, but it came back to me when reading the diary, that as I prepared to go to bed I discovered that the sheets had probably not been changed for a long time and had a very nasty smell. I spent the night fully dressed lying on top of the bedspread and covered the pillow with clean handkerchiefs.

But I have stayed at far worse places than that.

In recent years this pensioner has allowed himself some more comfort.

Kind regards,

Ger