underwater cameras - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-12-2004, 05:22 AM
TE Newbie

Default underwater cameras

hello all!
i'd just got yesterday my new canon digital ixus500 and the underwater housing WPDC800, they seem perfect pieces of equipment and my first test shots had an excellent image quality. i'd like to ask if any member of TE uses an underwater camera and could share some tips&tricks.
Best regards
Old 05-12-2004, 11:44 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: underwater cameras

yep, you can see some of my UW pics in TrekLens mostly, though I must have one loaded here...

Some image tips roughly :
- if you don't have any external flash, limit yourself to macro with internal flash,
- The UW photo plague is backscattering which is caused with tiny particles illuminated by a strobe that is too near to the lens (internal flsh for instance). This is why an external flash is needed for most of the pics : next buy will be a flash check small Epoque DS150, not very powerful but the cheapest when bought in Japan or US.
- the key to UW photo is reducing the distance between the lens and the subject, this will also reduce backscattering.
- Water is like an add on close up lens, you'll see things 1/4 bigger than they are, so will your lens too, hence a 35mm lens is transformed underwater to a 50mm lens. This is why wide angle add on lenses are really useful UW. Check Epoque, Inon or Sea&Sea Wide angle add on lenses.
- As a general rule, except for macro, shoot upwards, never downwards.
- You can make quite decent shots with natural light when taking images orienting your camera to the surface and including the sun reflection on the water and a silhouette, a diver, a turtle, etc...

Some maintenance tips :
- be extra careful about the housing O-ring, clean and grease it everytime you open the housing. No cotton buds for cleaning only your finger and a lint free cloth.
- do not put your housing to the sun, everytime you come up, try put it soaking into a bucket of water to the shade.
- When your finished, put your housing to soak at least 1/2 hour into a bucket of fresh water, it's far better for salt removal than hose rinsing.
- put 2 small silicate bags into the housing before closing it in order to prevent lens fogging. Lens fogging will occur when : putting your housing to direct heat/sun then UW, using the LCD screen all the time UW.
- Try to spare the camera batteries and reduce camera heat by switching off the LCD screen underwater whenever possible.
- VERY IMPORTANT do not giant stride or backroll to the water with your housing, it could flood. Ask someone to hold your camera while you get to the water.

Hope this helps.
L.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:09 PM
TE Senior Member

If you see any U/W pictures here, be sure to add them to the underwater theme.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:50 PM
TE Expert

Ok Mike, added to your theme the sole UW pic I uploaded in TE, my other UW shots are here in T/Lens.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:50 AM
TE Newbie

thanks Luco for your reply, these are some great tips i'll always have in mind when i'll go diving. i've never used any underwater case before so i have to be very careful. the good thing is that where i use to dive there is a crystal clear water and very clean sea so i guess that will help. anyway i have four months of holidays to practice my new equipment. thanks Mike too for metioning the underwater theme
see you around