would you recommend this camera? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-30-2004, 07:40 AM
TE Newbie

Default would you recommend this camera?

after a lot of research on compact digital cameras of 5 megapixels and 3x optical zoom i find the most suitable the canon powershot s500 (us name)/ digital ixus 500 (european name). since there are a lot of members on TE with great experience on cameras i'd like to know if you would recommend this camera, cause i'm thinking of getting one next week.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:19 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: would you recommend this camera?

First you have to ask yourself: what am I going to use the camera for? What type of shots? Do I want to print large sizes or am I going to only post on the web and print small photos for friends or family? Do I want something that I can carry in my pocket or something more serious / more professional?

Anyway, I use the Canon PowerShot G3 and apart from a few small things (like not being able to get nicely blurred background) it's an OK camera. Another thing you have to think about is noise. With the G3 if you go up above ISO 100 the noise is just intense...hard to remove with Neat Image or Noise Ninja. Remember that the smaller the sensor size the more noise the camera produces (that's why the DSLR's produce silky images). Anyway, I like the G3, but if I were to shop for a camera right now I'd invest a little more and either get one of the cheaper DSLR's (Canon EOS 300D or Nikon D70) or go for one of the 8MP fixed-lens zoom cameras such as the Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2, Canon PowerShot Pro1, Nikon Coolpix 8700, Olympus C-8080 or the Sony DSC-F828...and they are still small enough to carry anywhere BUT give you way more punch for the money. Now the price of the Canon PowerShot S500 is something like $500 USD...not cheap when compared to what it can do. Seriously, when you by the PowerShot S500 I think that about six months down the line you'll be looking for something more, so is it really worth it? At first you may think you're saving money, but down the line an investment in better equipment is a much better choice.

Anyway, this is all my opinion. At the end of the day it's all up to you. Hope you make the right choice! :-)

Fil