Notices

Old 03-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Banned

Default Canon 350D Review

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=15&id=1472
Old 03-20-2005, 03:54 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Canon 350D lenses advice

So finally, the 350D is out in France since the 16 of March, at least at the store where have been.
I went there with a Flash card, and did some test with all the lenses I mentioned in my first message except for the Canon EF 16-35mm F2,8 they didn't have in stock. But I have added the Tamron 17-35mm F2,8-4 and the Canon EF-S 18-55 II that is part of the 350D kit.

Here is some samples of the test I did:

- First Test unsing the longest focal length available for each lenses and did a central crop. The first picture of the serie is from the best lenses and the last picture is the worst (at least to my humble opinion). As will see, the best one is the Canon 17-40 F4 and the worst is the Sigma 17-35 F2,8-4. And quite surprisingly I find the EF-S 18-55 II (that comes with the 350D kit) of fairly same quality then the canon 17-40 F4 in this test situation. The full untouched picture for each samples is available from the link beside each sample.

- Second Test using the shortest focal length available for each lenses and did a corner crop. The first picture of the serie is from the best lenses and the last picture is the worst (at least to my humble opinion). This time, the best one is the Tamron, followed by the Canon 17-40 F4. The Sigma and the Canon EF-S 18-55 (350D kit) are just as equally bad. The full untouched picture for each samples is available from the link beside each sample.

So the loser is definitively the Sigma lense. The Canon 17-40 did the best (first and second place). But I'm still hesitating and wondering if should not get the lens that comes with the kit (it'll cost me an extra 100 Euros more than the price for a 350D alone) and save money to get Canon 16-35mm F2,8 later.

What's your opinion?

PS: Thanks to Adrian Warren who inspired for this test.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Banned

Bonjour Romain, et merci de partager ces tests avec nous,
Ma premiere reaction serait d'eviter le lens du kit et de me payer deux vrais cailloux, l'un pour le grand angle et l'autre couvrant une large plage (quoique plutot contre-indique dans d'autres forums), mais cette approche implique $$$$ !
A propose de la methode, appareil sur trepied et declenchement avec retardateur ?
Jean-Yves
Old 03-20-2005, 04:12 PM
TE Expert

A propose de la methode, appareil sur trepied et declenchement avec retardateur ?

Hum... difficile a mettre en place lorqu'il y a des clients qui attendent pour pouvoir parler au vendeur que l'on accapare.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:14 PM
TE Expert

Default mine is arriving tomorrow

to my eager hands and restless spirit.

The EOS 300 was a good camera, the best I had so far.
But the upgrade was too fast, I can not resist.

I will keep the lenses I have so far, EF mount, but I will check a wide angle option, maybe a decision to quit beeing a coward!

please check Sigma lenses, they are cheaper and some models are quite good.

K.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:18 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: mine is arriving tomorrow

please check Sigma lenses, they are cheaper and some models are quite good.

I don't know. I've seen 2 tests of 2 differents Sigma lenses they were both bad. I'm not sure I want to lose time checking them.

But thanks for the advice anyway.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:28 PM
TE Expert

please check the reviews, some are quite good, depending if you want a wide angle or a tele...

Regarding what to buy the 20D or the 350 I would choose the 350 and better glass...it is more likely to upgrade the camera and keep the lenses...which at the end are long term investments (also you can use them with your analog camera, same as I do).

K.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:46 PM
TE Expert

Regarding what to buy the 20D or the 350 I would choose the 350 and better glass...it is more likely to upgrade the camera and keep the lenses

That's what I thought too, until I got my hands on the 350 D. First it doesn't has a wheel on its back as 20D does. The second wheel is quite handy specialy when shooting manual as I often do. You can select the speed from the front wheel (near the trigger) using your index finger and the aperture from the back wheel using your thumb of the same hand, both on the same time and without the need to push an extra shift button. This also exist on my old EOS 50, I'm use of it. Second, the 350D is light and small which is nice when traveling and easier to store in a bag. But if you have big fingers like mine then it is not has easy to get a good grip on it (specially when equiped with long lense) and I'm not talking about finding your way through buttons, specially when you have push extra one to set your camera.

All this said, it is true that the price is still a major factor of decision for me and might overcome my desire for comfort. ;-)

(also you can use them with your analog camera, same as I do).

Not true for the Tamron and the Sigma as they're specially designed for digital camera. At least that was what they told me about at the store.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:52 PM
TE Expert

ehhh, I am out of latest news...all the lenses I have available to purchase are still being manufactured for analog...

So the cropping factor should not work if they are for digital...they should be less expensive then...

Regarding the comfort...uhmm personally I had several cameras and every new one is a matter of habit...soon you get use to it.

And I prefer to upgrade the camera and have better lenses. The EOS 300 was in my hands for only 6 months...

K.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:05 AM
TE Newbie

hello all,
i'm about to get the 350d as well, and faced with the same dilema, which lens? i ve been through some reviews which find the included lens kit very poor and one othe best options is EF-S 17-85 mm. what do you think about this one? is there any cheaper alternative but still good quality?