Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-24-2008, 02:33 AM
TE Newbie

Default Tips for resizing any one?

I've using the "save for web" in Photoshop. I usually start reducing the photo down to 800x(whatever constrain proportion). when I get the photo to the maximum file size allowed (after sharpening etc) then I upload it, but when I click on my picture the viewable size looks small. How can I resize a picture that will appear larger after uploading it?
Thank you for your "step by step" help.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:27 AM
TE Senior Member

Default photoshop

Josue,

I use a rather old Photoshop Elements, but it also has the [save for web].
First it's good to remember that a pixel on a screen always has the same size, but the photo will look different in size because of the screen resolution; the more pixels on the screen (higher resolution) te smaller it will lool.

If you use the [save for web] (I'll call it SFW from now on), the firdt thing I do is fill in the [new size]; 800, then hit apply.
on top you have [settings] , here I use [custom] and then [JPEG] and [high] [progressive].
Then I change [Quality] by clicking on the arrow on the right side. you will get the possibility to move an arrow by hand. When you move it with your mousebutton, and let it go, it will recalculate the new size.

There are two pictures; the left one is the 'original' (it's already changed because we changed the size and hit the apply button), and the right one is the 'new' photo.
Under the photo it sais;
JPEG
154 sec @ 28.8 Kbps

431,3 is the one we need to bring down. And that happens when you move the arrow. Every time you let go, it will recalculate the new size. So you'll end up with 77% or 68%, it doeasn't matter, but your file size will be under 300 Kb, the maximum allowed on TE

some more remarks;
- save the photo in a different place before starting;
- using the SFW function, you loose the EXIF data, it's extra work when downloading, but quite important if you want to have better critiques;
- It's almost gone now on TE but it's quite useful if you end your note with the technique you used to process the photo. And if you have a question, also put it in the note. For instance if you think the photo is a bit too dark, just say so, and ask for help. If you are lucky, you'll get a critique from someone who actually reads your note and knows more than the usual 13 superlatives from the TE guideline 'I really like the colors . . .'

if you want to try another sharpening method;
[filter]
[sharpen]
[unsharp mask]

it's more work, but the result is a lot better.
have a look at my latest photos, in the end of the note there is a short description.
I'm also not a pro, if you really want to know all about sharpening, have a look at Adrian Warren (opens in a new window)

hope it works,
good luck!

PS this question should be in the Tips-Techniques section :)
Old 10-24-2008, 10:30 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: photoshop

Thanks a million! David. I copied your post to use it on my next photo. Also I'm going to visit Adrian's photoshop tutorial. As a new member I appreciate all the help you can offer me. In one week I've learned about composition, POV, cropping, and sharpening and I hope my last picture shows some improvement (even though it's too small) thanks to the nice folks of TE.