Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-03-2004, 11:40 PM
TE Newbie

Default Help with lenses

I am about to purchase a Canon 20D but I am unsure which lens to buy, I require the lens to photograph landscapes in low light any help would be appreciated

Many thanks
toonboy
Old 12-04-2004, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Help with lenses

Depends on what you're used to. Since the 20D is EF-S capable I'd consider the:
Canon 10mm-22mm EF-S - although it's not ideal for low light, since it doesn't have IS and is only f3.5-4.5. That said it's the best real wide-angle for the camera taking into account the 1.6x FOV crop it's an effective 16mm-35mm

Since you want low light that ideally means a fast lens and/or image stabilization. That means either:
Canon 16-35 f2.8/L (1.6x so equivalent to 25-56) or
Canon 17-85 IS (1.6x so equivalent to 28-135)

There are 3rd party wideangle solutions, but I used to have the Sigma 17-35 EX HSM - but mine was never sharp, and failed in under two years...

Since I'm shooting with a 10D I can't use either of the EF-S lenses, and the f2.8/L is too expensive and heavy for my tastes - so I'm using the Canon 17-40 f4/L which I'm happy with.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:16 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks for your help Adrian
Old 12-04-2004, 04:36 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Ken,
your ask is a 'classical' one: i suggest only a little idea, don't think ONLY about zoomes, they are perfect for the right compo on field (p.e. with dias, when is impossible a post-crop) but you never obtain the best quality. Think to 2 lenses: 1 general purpose zoom + 1 good (so good as your money allow) FIXED FOCAL lens. With poor light every extra 1/2 stop is a big bonus and with a sensor so good as nw is possible to have (canon are particolary very good) to crop a little in post processing isn't a drama!
;-)) With my film reflexes i have followed this principle and i will make the same with my future (i hope!) D-reflex!
ciao, giorgio
Old 12-04-2004, 06:47 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks for help

Regards Ken
Old 12-04-2004, 08:33 PM
TE Junior Member

Here is my 2-cents or 2-Pence. If you are using a tripod, and you should in low light, the cost of Image Stablization is not necessary. I would select a lens that is realatively fast, f/2.8 or f/4. It makes no difference if it is a zoom lens or prime lens since zooms have the necessary quality. As to focal range, that is up to you and your shooting style and subject matter. I generally use a Nikon 24-120 zoom f/3.5-5.6 for most of my general shooting both daylight and low light.

Hope this helps in your decision making.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:18 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Ken,

That's a nice portfolio you have. I'm not that experienced with reflex but I own a 20D and make quite a lot of landscape pictures so maybe I can share my small experience.

If you like landscape pictures at dusk or something, I think you don't really care about fast lenses and Image stabilization. It may be fun but probably won't add a lot to your picture. Low light would mean longer exposure in your case so no need for IS features I think.

Spend your money in a good tripod and a quality wide angle with as little distorsion and color aberration as possible, possibly the L series if you can afford it. The 17-40 L f4 is very nice and probably the cheaper in the L serie.

Regards,

Steven
Old 12-05-2004, 01:33 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks for all the replies boys

\Regards Ken