Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Needs Improvement H2A 2008-05-14 12:14

The shot is a case study of bad wide-angle use. All sorts of extraneous, distracting junk fills the corners and edges: A blurry woman looking at the camera, a bit of a boat, a bit of a flower-pot, a bit of a house, some blurry people and cars on a street, a lot of empty muddy water, and the shot isn't even level.

If you had pointed your camera straight ahead instead of down, you would not only have avoided the blurry lady and the muddy water but you would have gotten some more of those dramatic clouds in the shot, while at the same time setting those distorted spires straight.

Last but not least, you managed to shoot this bad picture with a high ISO setting, adding grain to all that blurriness and distortion.

You might have gotten points for picking a good subject, but hundreds of millions of tourists have "picked" the exact same subject since time immemorial, so sorry, no luck there either.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:21 PM
TE Expert

Default To H2A:

Hello Hakki, if you had read my note you have could spare a lot of time writing your critique!!

At my note you can read that i'm learning to work with Stich photo's but that is not working. My post is a ask for help to improve it and not someone that write abonoctions things like that the lens is not good. The lens is perfet (as you can see at different TE gallerys)but the postprocessing work is not good and that's why i've post to learn from other members.
From your critique i learn absolutly nothing but maybe with my reply you learn to read notes before writing critiques.
KIks
Old 05-14-2008, 11:46 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To H2A:

Who said anything about your lens? I just said you didn't know how to use it.

As for Stitch, my advice to you is to forget about autostitching. Even if the autostitching software can align your images correctly, it will interpolate your original pixels so much that the image quality will be seriously degraded.

The only way to do it right is to shoot properly aligned shots with as little distortion as possible (wideangle is bad) and manual metering (so that the exposure stays constant through the panorama series). Then you load the shots in PS layers, line up the layers by dialing down the opacity, create a gradient transparency mask for each layer to smooth the transitions, and tweak the masks with a soft-edged brush. Obviously you need to increase the canvas size to accommodate the growing image as you align the layers.

If you use a tripod and/or carefully line up your shots with your camera's panorama guides you can comp the whole thing in PS without rotating any of the frames, which means that you keep the original pixels without interpolation.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:58 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To H2A:

Hello Hakki, this was the kind of reaction that i was waiting for. Thanks for the information i'm going to try it but first i have to learn to work with PS because i'm now working with ACDsee PRo and this program have as no layres.