To Florian88: Hello Florian! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Florian88 2008-02-11 2:13

Hi Jon!
I ran through your gallery and there we're moments when I thought.. Oh yeah, that place.
You really got fantastic pictures from an fantastic country, which is my favourite, far above every other country in Europe. When I saw this picture, it reminded me of a trip from the Lofoten to the Vesteralen, there was a same spot. You hop from one Island to another with a same bridge and scenery. Here's a link with the picture.
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/4715352

This is really a lovely capture, the way the sun's lightens up some objects in your composition. I always wanted to go to Norway in the winter months, because of the sceneries covered with snow. Which part of Norway would you recommend to go to in the months december and januari? (My interest is also the Lofoten)
Good work,
Regards Florian

Old 02-11-2008, 12:40 PM
TE Newbie

Default To Florian88: Hello Florian!

Thank you for your kind words and a fine link to the Sortland bridge! (which is further south of this spot)

About going to northern Norway in the winter:
Mid winter brings really a lot of stormy and mixed weather. In the coastal districts up to Vesteraalen there are often long periods of no snow. Of course you could be lucky to hit one of those nice periods where its clear weather for a week or two, but if so - take it as a surprise.. :-)
As you know the days are short in midwinter, in the area 4-6 hours of almost light.
A rainy day would be practically dark all day.
The sun is gone for two months in Tromsψ and one month further south in Lofoten.
But: If the weather is nice you can get to see some nice northern light (Aurora borealis) - and of course moon shine in the right periods.

If I had to choose between those two months, I think January would be to prefer.
The winter is a bit more established, and the sun is starting to come back (about 20 january at 70 north).
If you want a more stable winter experience, the inner fjord areas of Troms (Lyngen) or Finnmark (Alta) can be ok. Perhaps also Finnmarksvidda. (But you dont get those alpine mountains in Finnmark)
If you want a kind of "storm safari", Lofoten is a good choice, and perhaps also Vesterεlen.
The last years the number of "winter tourists" have been increasing, even a lot of Japanese people.
They are crazy about the Aurora..
I think there`s a direct flight now from London to Tromsoe with "Norwegian", they could have some cheap tickets if you make an early booking.

Have a nice winter down there!
Regards, Jon.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:50 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To Florian88: Hello Florian!

Hi Jon!

I'm very thankful for your recommendations about going to Norway in the winter. Indeed, I heard some 'spooky' stories about the Lofoten in the winter. That the ferry from Bodo is really shocking in the winter ;-). When we came to the Lofoten 3 years ago, it was a sunny day, with no wind. So we couldn't imagine how the boat would be in such storm.
Perhaps it is not something to do when you're a tourist (in my case) Because you have to be a longer period in Norway, to get such nice periods after the stormy ones. And therefor you can't go for 2 weeks or so. But if you go like, 2 months that would be better.

But I'm going to study Earth Sciences, and I'm hoping on some practical experiments in Norway. Also I want to go study for half a year in Norway, or Svalbard, as an exchange. The last name has got really my interest, that's my ultimate goal; to study at the Svalbard University. So I thank you for the information, which I will be gathering to make an decision when to go to Norway in the winter.

Regards Florian
Old 02-11-2008, 11:16 PM
TE Newbie

Hi again!
I think in winter its perhaps better to go with an organized trip, otherwise it might be boring to wait through a storm.. But some people like that too!
As you say, 2 months would be fine. To see the light coming back after the polar night is a nice experience.
Interesting to hear that your going to study Earth Sciences, quite related to my study 20 years ago - meteorology. Infact I`m working as a forecaster in Tromsoe now.
I would strongly recommend you to go to UNIS, Svalbard University. Several of my younger colleges have studied there, and they have only good things to tell about it.
Good luck with your decision!
Regards, Jon.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:32 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Jon!
In fact, I allready have been surfing on the website of UNIS Svalbard! And the university (Utrecht) where I'm going to study has got a good relationship with Svalbards UNIS.
That's fun, Meterology is also a small part of that study Earth Sciences. But when you want to be a forecaster, you have to study Physics and then you must choose the Master Meterology. There's also a study where I've been looking for, where Meterology is a big part of the study. That study consists Earth, Geology and Athmosfeer (Meterology). But I wanted to go more in geology and system of the earth.
I think a quite large group on TE is not only photographer, but also a scientist in these degrees (Earth Sciences). Because our interests are in the Landscapes and sceneries. And that's why we want to make the greatest pictures and show the beauty of the earth. I think that was my motivation to start with photography. And still it is. =)

For what kind of company do you work? Is it for the television?

Have a good night!
Regards Florian
Old 02-11-2008, 11:48 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Florian.
Then I think you will have the best information about UNIS at your own university!
You are probably right about the connection between landscape photography and subject of study.
I am quite obsessed with decorative clouds... :-)
I work for the Norwegian meteorological institute (link: met.no/English ), we make forecasts for every kind of users, for example aviation, fisheries, radio.
Right now I work night shift, making forecasts for tomorrow.
Have a good night.
Regards Jon
Old 02-11-2008, 11:55 PM
TE Newbie

Goodluck with the forecasts! And thanks for the correspondence.

Regards Florian