To pboehringer: Watermark - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great pboehringer 2008-01-14 11:01

Sam,
this is my first moment looking into the ongoing "Slacklining" series. each shot has its merits, but this one is the strongest image by far. I was imagining the trust required to get this one and read about it later in your excellent note.
The all through goibg sharpness works extremely well and the bkue sky as background as well as the immense graphical tree are perfect.
The detail of the watermark is a sad proof that authorship is something that is not beeing taken seriously . Personnally I would prefer to see it without the watermark.
Peter

Old 01-14-2008, 08:35 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To pboehringer: Watermark

Hello, Peter--
Thanks for the critique.
i'm curious as to what you mean by your comment "proof that authorship is something that is not being taken seriously".
i know that there's probably not anybody out there who would prefer to see a watermarked picture... but i feel like that's kind of the point of a watermark. If i had any assurance that only you--or people as trustworthy as you, for that matter--were able to see this picture, then you can rest assured that it wouldn't have a watermark. But i've kind of decided that as common as picture "borrowing" seems to be, a watermark that is, for the most part, fairly nonobtrusive--while probably not offering 100% foolproof protection--will at least elicit the same reaction from less trustworthy people than yourself as it did from you: That they would personally prefer to see it without the watermark wherever they had planned to use it.
Perhaps it's like spitting on a wildfire... but i feel like having the watermark doesn't make the picture any more difficult to critique and that having the watermark doesn't make the picture say any less about the world than it did before... so from here on out i'll probably have a similar watermark to this in my uploads.
All the best to you, and happy shooting--
sam
Old 01-15-2008, 03:09 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To pboehringer: Watermark

The meaning of "proof that authorship is something that is not being taken seriously"? People are stealing shots from others and using it for own purpouse without consent or even using it as if they are the authors of it.
Your watermark is discrete, but still quite visible and at a webpage like TrekEarth I prefer to see it clean. As far as I understand you have the option to block your shots by not allowing people to do a workshop with it. In that case you don't need to place a waterproof all over the shot.
Peter