To eyesthetix: Ayobami - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great eyesthetix 2007-08-15 3:12

Hello Cora,
this is absolutely brilliant !
Superb POV resulting in an interesting composition.
Exposure management looks very good too.
Well done.

Best regards, Daniel

P.S. Out of curiousity (if you don't mind), can I ask how you got your screen name "Ayobami" ?
In Yoruba (a language spoken in some parts of West Africa - including the South Western part of Nigeria where I am originally from), "Ayobami" is a name. "Ayo" generically means joy (or gladdness, happiness, etc..) and there we have many names that are preceeded with "Ayo..".
Then "Ayobami" (pronounced in Yoruba as; Ah-your-bar-me), literally translated into English means "Joy met me" .

So you are one of my tribe.. ! (lol)

Old 09-16-2007, 04:42 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To eyesthetix: Ayobami

Hello Daniel,

Thanks so much for your post. I really enjoyed looking at all of your photos and websites as well. Your night shots are just amazing! I'd love to learn more about how to achieve such perfect exposure in night scenes.

As for my name, you are absolutely right it is Yoruba. My parents lived in various countries throughout Africa for almost ten years before I was born. My mother was living in Nigeria during the beginning of her pregnancy with me. Just as they were leaving to England where my dad had been relocated, my parent's friend and customer from NEPA in Lagos saw them and flagged them to stop. He told my mom he wanted to name her baby before they left and so I was named 'Ayobami'. He told my mom it meant 'a joy that came to us in a miraculous way'.

My mom has always talked very highly about her experiences in Africa and especially in Nigeria and has very good memories of all the kind and wonderful people she met. She used to host many of the local Nigerian artists at her house for art shows so we have a lot of beautiful African art in our home which I grew up around. I've always used the name as my email or login since it's so unique, different and beautiful.

I feel privileged to have a connection to Yoruba and Nigeria but have to admit that I have never been there in person (was born in England once my parents left) and don't know very much about it other than what my mom has told me. One of these days I hope to learn more and see things for myself, especially since I feel a unique identity with the name.

I'll have to check in on your work more often.

Happy shooting!!

Best regards

Cora