To luisafonso: oversharpening - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great luisafonso 2006-08-18 5:59

I guess you are both playing with the sky in our last post. And for that same reason I think that you should NOT cut the upper sky to make it a panorama. If you want to crop it, do it ob the bottom part instead. But to be honest, I like it the way it is now. The compo is perfectly balanced and I wouldn't change a thing. Good light across the frame also and great warm colors. I just found the image to be a bit oversharpened. On these kind of photos, I usually apply the USM on a separate layer and then erase the sky till the contour of the hills (to get rid of the white halo caused by the sharpening method). It's just a small tip if you want to take it. A good photo anyway. Thanks

Old 08-20-2006, 03:34 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To luisafonso: oversharpening

Thanks for your comments, and I do agree it is a bit oversharpened. I'll definitley try your method on it at some point to see how it comes out (though perhaps this can only be done with Photoshop CS? I only have Elements 2.0)... I also saw a spot in the middle of the clouds that definitely needs removing as well - how annoying to have these spots on my lens which can be such an expense and hassle to have cleaned!

Thanks again!
Cora
Old 08-21-2006, 01:33 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To luisafonso: oversharpening

Elements has layers too, so no problem. In CS2 there is also a history brush tool that lets you selectively undo (like painting with a brush) the USM. Don't know if you can do that in Elements... Didn't see the dust spot! :) Make sure it's not the sensor... Just clean the lens and take a shot of a blue sky (without clear focus) using the largest f stop. You will see if those spots keep appearing or not... I had to clean by 30D twice since I bought it two months ago!
Old 08-21-2006, 12:02 PM
TE Junior Member

Great, I'll give it a try. Unfortunately as for the spot, I'm pretty sure it's on my sensor so need to have it professionally cleaned. I guess it's not too surprising since I've had it over a year now and in the winter with the misty/frosty conditions it's bound to get moisture on it that collects the dust and leaves the spots no matter what I do with bags and gel to avoid it. At least I think that must be how it happened, especially since I've only ever changed my lens once or twice and did so very carefully. It's a pain though, since not only is it expensive, but I have to part with my camera for two weeks while they do it, ugh.

Anyway, thanks again for the tip, and happy shooting!
Old 08-21-2006, 01:30 PM
TE Senior Member

Maybe you want to clean it yourself. There are plenty of sensor cleaning kits available. I use this method with great results. Check this link for detailed info on that. Thanks