To EstudioChispa: erasing spotlight - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good EstudioChispa 2013-02-22 8:56

Hello Peter!
I've read your profile and see myself in some of your remarks -- I am a student trying to get a more objective understanding of the techniques and aesthetics that I've tried to develop over a lifetime.
FWIW, here's my analysis of this shot. Feel free to be equally discerning if you wanted to critique any of my shots -- I'm new to TrekEarth, but one thing I've found is that people are hesitant to do much more than compliment obvious attributes.
I think you've captured the pleasantness of this sculpture garden (and I love the green willows contrasted with the bare trees), but the composition here lacks any compelling focus. Is it a picture of the bear sculpture? If so, the bear deserves more than 3% of the frame. Is it a study of the water jetting up and falling down from the fountain? With due respect, let me do a quick workshop and crop it down to those two elements -- and I'm gonna also erase that spotlight! What an unwelcome distraction!
All offered in good spirits...
Russ
Austin, Texas

Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
TE Newbie

Default To EstudioChispa: erasing spotlight

Hi:
On erasing parts of photos, I just wondered if the trekearth guidelines allow that. I thought post-processing was more restricted than that? Or perhaps the rules were meant to exclude extreme processing and distortion. I'll have to look it up again. Would be an important point of general interest.

Regards - Peter
Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 PM
TE Senior Member

Default I'll re-read those guideleines, too!

I'm the first to admit that "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest," but I took the guidelines to allow for touch-ups that created a better foto, and to prohibit digital manipulations that created an image that... well, now that I start trying to articulate it, I'm not sure WHERE I'd draw the line. Maybe I'm headed for "If it looks like a picture, no one will suspect that elements have been altered," (yes, it's a slippery slope!), but in this case of removing a distracting (and inert) spotlight, I took the liberty. Time may prove my interpretation wrong.

Thanks for the responses!
Russ
Austin, TX

Tags
erase, post-processing