The TrekEarth Forums - View Single Post - Whales in Dominican Republic
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2004, 01:19 AM
Luko Luko is offline
TE Expert
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,969
Default Re: Whales in Dominican Republic


I cannot reply with specific regards to DR -as I've never been there- but only to photo care in wet or sea surroundings, being a keen diver and practising underwater photo.

You're right to worry, salty atmosphere is very damaging to cameras even though some are totally plastic made ; the only one I've ruined was a plastic P&S (I've flooded a SLR too but it's another story, given that you won't go UW, I suppose).
I don't know how the boats are but there are chances that they'll take you on flat boats (zodiac style) to get close to the whales. Suppose the zodiac gets the next wave with a slightly wrong angle, you get a bucket a sea water onto you and bang, your camera's dead. For the record, I've dived with a photographer who flooded his digital UW housing with only one spoonful of water : the result was that his digicam zoom got stuck and refused to work anymore...there's no need to soak a camera completely into sea water to screw it up, a little does the job too. :-(

How to prevent that :
- the complete option is to buy a UW housing, If you owned an Olympus or a A80 Canon, that would have been a 200USD expense, shopping on the net. That's still manageable if you foresee any future use. For a Coolpix 5700 I'm afraid it will be very expensive, i don't even know if ther's a housing available.
- a lighter option, the soft housing. While previous housing were hard camera cases, allowing your camera to dive safely down to 40 meters. Ewa Marine brand makes a few soft plastic housings that are more "waterproof" than diving quality : ie. you could take your camera for white water rafting but I wouldn't advise diving even 3 meters deep with your camera inside. I'd suggest this solution, which is indeed less expensive. The problem is that I don't know whether they 're making housings for your type of camera. If you leave in Paris, you can call either "Photo Denfert" or "Plongespace", both specialists in UW photo, for an advice then shop on the web (you should find all your items half price).
Reply With Quote