View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 03:07 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Whistler and Vancouver

Hi guys. The area both of you are talking about is called the downtown east side, or East Hastings, which I had mentioned. It definitely is an eye opening spot, but I would suggest you need not be too frightened in that area. I worked in the heart of the downtown east side for a time and the one thing I would suggest is that even though the people there have huge problems by and large, they are not violent. I have seen some well done street photography come out of that area, although I would not be nervy enough to take my camera out and start shooting. The people there are quite safe in an odd way though. The downtown east side basically starts at the edge of Gastown, which is another quite highly touristed area and runs east.

I wouldn't highly recommend Gastown, other than some good restaurant and watering holes. Steamworks is another favorite of mine, good food and very good beer they brew themselves. If you are travelling on a budget, the Cambie Inn/Hostel is one of the most popular hostels (I only know of a few, never stayed at any) in town, although on the fringes of the downtown east side. The bar at the Cambie is one of the cheapest in Vancouver to drink at, draws somewhat of an international crowd, as well as some very colorful locals. It is another spot I enjoy stopping at when I am back in town.