View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 08:36 PM
TE Expert

Unhappy Open Invitation

The short cut buttons are an open invitation for people to pin copyrighted work.

The Terms and Condition of TE state as follows:

Content on the Site
The material on this Site is protected by copyright, trademark, and other applicable laws. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit, publicly display, prepare derivative works based on, or distribute in any way any material from the Site, including but not limited to text, audio, video, code and software. During your visit, however, you may download material displayed on the Site for non-commercial, personal use only (provided that you also retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained on the materials)

Is pinning onto another website classed as 'personal use'?

You are aware that from Pinterest images are re-pinned I assume? Just one of my shots has been re-pinned 86 times with no credits given or links back to TE.

I am at a loss about the double standards exhibited by TE -. Recently a member had his account closed because he posted images which he claimed where his own, they were in fact lifted from other websites. But here we are openly inviting people to take copyrighted work.

I assume you are also aware that Pinterest strips all the metadata from image files and therefore embedded copyrights are removed.

I agree we are a group of people who come together to share a love of photography and travel. My understanding when I became a member was that I would join a community of people with similar interests and objectives, sharing ideas, technical and artistic abilities and encouragement. I did not think that the sharing would mean letting any Tom Dick or Harry just help themselves to my work without even a 'may I?' or ' thank you'

I feel that members deserve to be kept in the loop as the commercial aspects of the site are developed. It is obvious that revenue gained through hits on the site is important to the owners and I guess that the needs and requirements of members are secondary. We hear quickly enough about rules regarding things like HDR, posting Christmas wishes etc. but precious little is communicated wrt short cut buttons etc.

I feel very disappointed in what I saw a quality site, where I could join like-minded people, descending into yet another commercially driven enterprise where we, the members, provide the 'fodder' to keep it running.

The signature below is what I will be adding to my notes from now on

Last edited by SnapRJW; 05-17-2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Addition