The TrekEarth Forums - View Single Post - Shooting with David Alan Harvey
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 11:41 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Shooting with David Alan Harvey

So if you want your photography to grow - and I know you do - you'll definitely have to pay more attention to consistent projects like your tkd series. Of course, it will not have the usual TE impact your photos get, but TE is not a place to grow when we talk about photography in these terms. The culture here is very different, just because of the way the site was and is designed. It's a pity because the critiques around here are usually better than in many other better designed sites.
I'll sit here waiting for your (and others) photo essays.
Stay safe, l.
---------------------------------------------------

Spot on, Luis. I put togeher 2 portfolios. One with TKD one with miscellaneous street shots. Even putting it together, I had a different feeling. The TKD is still in its infancy, I have ideas how to take it further, yet even now, its startint to say something. It will take me a year of shooting it to get what I want, to be able to take a lot of photos, edit down and create something meaningful. The miscellaneous shots were some of my big hitters. I felt nothing overall for it, although some parts offer promising jumping off points to develop into coherent wholes. But as a collection of pretty much unrelated stuff...I shouldnt have even shown it to be honest. Next time I wont make that mistake. Ill take the seedlings and take them somewhere and discard the rest.

The good thing is Ive been able to focus my mind a bit more. The TKD series is something I want to publish eventually as a whole, and even now it could be an ok photoessay. Still very much a work in progress. Other ideas is to really focus in on a single location. The easiest for me is a fountain Ive put photos from onto TE before. Both offer coherency in terms of subject and also style.