The TrekEarth Forums - View Single Post - Laos vs. Myanmar/Burma
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 07:32 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Laos vs. Myanmar/Burma

If you choose Laos you should also have time to get to the Champasak region in the east and visit the mysterious Plain of Jars. It really shouldn't be missed. There are several theories on the orgins and usage for these huge ceramic jars, ranging from manmade marvels used for winemaking or water or rice storage, to something left behind by aliens. No one knows why or how they were left where they are and it makes for truly amazing landscape.

I just loaded a pic of the hills around this area if you'd like a look at what you can expect. I was totally surprised the rolling green hills. I never saw anything like it anywhere else in SE Asia.

Another note: If you go to Myanmar and spend a day or two in Yangon, treat yourself to a meal or at least tea or a cold drink, at the dining room at the Strand Hotel. Beautil restored hostoric hotel and wonderful food! Granted it's been a long time, but when we were there they had a terrific display of Burmese photographic portraits on the dining room walls.

All the best!

bart/opus