The TrekEarth Forums - View Single Post - People can't take critics
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2004, 03:45 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: People can't take critics

Hi Romain. I can understand your feelings to a certain degree, it is too bad when you put in an effort and seemingly get slapped for that effort. This being said, there are a few things to remember.

First and foremost, it does not have to be the photographer who marked you down. Rather than holding personal grudges, I would suggest you assume it was someone unknown. Whether this is accurate or not is not important, I just think being angry at a general anybody as opposed to a specific someone is better for your soul.

Secondly, remember that even if you have a million points, they get you nothing. They are not good for trade, barter or anything else. I wish I could trade them in for new camera equipment, but no store I have found yet will accept them. In this way, nothing is really lost. Again, this is not to say I don't understand or agree with what you are feeling, I am just putting it into perspective hopefully.

A very important third, at least for me is that I believe you become a better photographer by writing detailed and constructive critiques. Actually, I believe in the past year and a half, my photographic skills have improved greatly because of this, moreso even than receiving good critiques. For me anyways, getting somewhat analytical and really trying to decide why something works or doesn't work helps me think the next time I am behind the lens in a similar situation. I think it is so very helpful to use someone else's photo, one where I don't have a vested interest, in deciding what works or doesn't work. I have said this before, I will say it again, the biggest thing I have ever done in improving myself as a photographer is to try to write thoughtful, honest and complete critiques. I know not everyone is like this, but it works for me.

By the way Romain, I do believe you are right, some people can't take critiques, it is human nature, but don't let other people's shortcomings affect you negatively.

The vacation idea is not a bad one. If something is not giving you what you want, or if you feel a little tired and want to come back refreshed, no harm at all. However, I personally do hope you will come back. I like honest criticism and believe you offer that.

Anyways, hope you will have a great weekend and hope to see you at TE soon.