The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Nikon DSLRs have very limited life in Bangladesh?? (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456741)

neelkaak 07-07-2007 09:39 AM

Nikon DSLRs have very limited life in Bangladesh??

Hello.

I live in Bangladesh. I was about to buy a Nikon D40 when I heard about the very limited lifespan of Nikon DSLRs in Bangladesh. A large number of people who bought the D70/D70s couldn't use it even for an year. It is said that Nikon DSLRs are not suited for the extreme humidity and dust in Bangladesh. But I couldn't found any solid evidence. Can anyone tell me whether its true that Nikon DSLRs are not much suitable for such weather or its just rumours.

ben4321 07-07-2007 10:36 AM

Re: Nikon DSLRs have very limited life in Bangladesh??

Not just Nikon, Kazi - any plastic consumer level camera like the D40 or D70 , be it Nikon, Canon, Pentax or anything else is going to suffer in conditions of extreme humidity.
Sadly, if you want a camera that's going to stand up to tough conditions you'll need a weather sealed body like the Nikon D2X or Canon Eos 1 series, which costs serious money.
You want a recommendation for the best extreme conditions camera? Get yourself an old Nikon FM2n - totally mechanical, no reliance on batteries and one of the most rugged and reliable cameras ever made. Best of all, it uses film!

Cheers,
Ben

BobTrips 07-07-2007 02:42 PM

I find that advice very, well ..., questionable.

Were there a significant problem with "plastic consumer" cameras in humid conditions then where are all the reports of failure from Florida, Thailand, and all the other places that also have high humidity conditions? Why hasn't my dSLR failed during our winter when we have more than 6 feet of rain?

Sure, consumer level cameras are not weather sealed, and if one wants to shoot in the rain then special care needs to be taken not to get a non-sealed camera wet.

But if you want to shoot in extreme conditions there's no reason that you have to spend mega-bucks for a upscale Nikon or Canon. Or make a backwards move to film. You can get a very nicely priced Pentax K10D which is weather sealed.

cknara 07-07-2007 03:17 PM

Hi,
I don't think Nikon D70 would fail in Bangaladesh.I know some of my friends who live in West Bengal esp Calcutta are using Nikon D70 and didn't face any issues.
I am living in Chennai,quite a humid place.I am using it for past 2 yrs and didn't face any issues.
Thanks
Nara

ben4321 07-07-2007 07:08 PM

I'd have preferred it if you'd said a sideways move to film rather than backwards, Bob!

I've used a D70 for the past couple of years, and during that time it's been drenched in seawater, rained on, banged off rocks and although it still works (most of the time), it's starting to become a bit unreliable. Saying that, if you treat your cameras better than me, there's no reason why a D70 or D40 shouldn't work just fine.
Even so, for the kind of conditions in Bangladesh - the monsoon, the humidity, the floods - I think I'd prefer something a bit more robust. Especially as the best photo opportunities tend to present themselves in the most extreme conditions.
I've always wanted to visit India (or Bangladesh) during the monsoon, and my camera of choice for such conditions would definitely be the FM2. Mine's been drenched in red paint during the Holi festival, soaked in beer, dropped in mountain streams, bounced off tarmac - and it still works perfectly.
Another option would be to get a D40 (great little camera, got one myself to replace the retired D70s) and a supply of plastic bags and elastic bands. That way you'd be equipped for the worst the monsoon rains could throw at you!

Emiel_Skyfreak 07-07-2007 11:48 PM

you'll need a weather sealed body like the Nikon D2X or Canon Eos 1 series, which costs serious money.

>>>>>>>>
Or a Pentax K10D which is A LOT cheaper!!! 3000 euro's

paulalex32 07-08-2007 01:22 PM

Hi guys,
I am living in Taiwan and I can assure you, 80% humidity and up is not unusual. I have had a Canon EOS 33 35 mm, Canon AE1 35mm, Nikon D50 DSLR and Nikon D80 DSLR along with many pocket cameras and various Nikon and Sigma lenses. None have suffered any issues as a result of humidity. Further, I have never heard from any of my Taiwanese friends that they have had problems with their cameras. However, it is not a bad idea to purchase a dehumidifying chest just to be safe. Cheers, Paul.

neelkaak 07-10-2007 09:58 AM

Thanks Ben. I use a Nikon F3HP...and simply love the camera. Comparing to digital using film really seems expensive with B/W labs vanishing fast. Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

Regards. Kazi