The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   Travel (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   India - Getting sick - precautions (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5046)

Opus 01-18-2004 01:38 AM

You might want to take every precaution available for India!

We did malaria pills, plague shots, hepatitis shots, tetanus shots and Cipro for your stomach. We ate only in hotels and better restaurants and drank bottled water...a must.
And I still got sick as a dog...stomach trouble. But, then, I get that everywhere.
Good luck!
India is not just any trip.

BobTrips 01-18-2004 02:03 AM

Re: Getting hassled....nothing new.

Bart - I think your advice is a little strong. I've been traveling a number of years in India, quite a bit of time alone, never in a group, sometimes with one other person. Other that a few 'bad parts of town' there aren't any places that I hesitate going. (OK, haven't been to Kashmir for a while.)

I know many women who travel by themselves in India quite regularly. In fact, one friend is scheduled to land sometime today in Mumbai. She first traveled India on her own in 1965.

Women do sometimes get a bit of bad treatment. Something along the lines of that provided by New York construction workers and the stereotyped Italian butt-pincher. Modest dress seems to help quite a bit, especially if one adapts the salwar kameez.

BobTrips 01-18-2004 02:09 AM

OK, except for the Imodium...

I've got some strong feelings about this drug.

You body is trying to expel the bad bugs. Imodium plugs you up and keeps them inside (keeps in the substances that they secrete/excrete that your body finds poisonous).

If you've got a mild case it will most likely take care of itself in a day or two. If it's a bad case then resort to antibiotics.

In either case keep the liquids and electrolytes going in the proper end to stay even with what is coming out the other.

Imodium is a 'chemical cork' that you might choose to use if you must fly.

clodreno 01-19-2004 12:50 PM

Re: India - Getting sick - precautions

The first time I went to India in 1984 i got sick because I had to drink bad water being in the mountains. At the time I was using a stupid drug called Micropur, that's supposed to kill everything. But no... I got Giardia. Not too bad, just have to run fast!!!
Then I have been there 7 times.
In the past 3 years I did spend 13 months there. NOTHING happened to me. I eat everything loving Indian food. I make sure not to eat salads, fruits without skin, and I drink Bottled water.
You don't really need any medication. Be careful with fresh milk unboiled.. I never expereinced any trouble with yoghourt..
I have to say that I like the southern Indian cooking a lot better. I go mad for those thalis and dosas..
If you want to know more , please ask me..
Take care
Claude

colonia 02-02-2004 03:52 PM

Been to India several times, never was sick.
I did in fact eat according to the common rule (cook it, peel it or forget it) and as few as possible - which is quite simple in this hot, smelly and dirty country. Weight-loss is a nice side-effect, not so bad for many Westeners.

trevvelbug 07-26-2004 01:43 PM

I would definitely stay away from the water, eat vegetarian food as much as possible, but other than that...I was in India for 2 months last year, did not take many precautions apart from the above and never got sick at all

Agus 09-28-2004 11:36 AM

It's really uneasy to get adapted on a few days only to a new circumstance, especially of our dietary habit. Such cultural shocks perhaps are any causes of such problems. My advise: open mind to any society and culture where we want to visit it.

mdchachi 09-28-2004 02:43 PM

Even though I took all the precautions I ended up getting giardia. It's not from cultural shocks, it's from unsanitary conditions. :-/